Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Don’t Have a Mammogram at Tufts Medical Center

 Fall 2021 I had my annual mammogram at Tufts. The tech just pushed the go button on the hydraulic press with no adjustments. It was very rushed and I didn’t know what to do.

I started crying on my way home. My entire chest was black and blue for weeks. I needed to ice the area and only wear sports bras. I looked like I had been in a massive car accident.

Around the holidays I noticed a lump in my right breast. I kept an eye on it for a couple weeks. It grew and shifted location so I saw a doctor. She was about to order a consult to Tufts Breast Center but I stopped her and got a referral to Mass General Hospital.

January 2022 I went to MGH. The Breast Center is clean. Personnel is very kind and attentive. I did not feel like an annoyance or inconvenience. I had an ultrasound and a mammogram. My stars, a mammogram done well is sooo much better! I didn’t know some machines have different squishing paddles and knobs to adjust pressure. Dread turned into relief. 

I was approached by a doctor as I walked to the waiting room. He told me the scans are concerning and I should have a core biopsy. Inside my depression and anxiety nodded and said “Of course”. There was time that afternoon to do the biopsy so I agreed. I am really impressed with the kindness and professionalism at MGH. A staff member held my hand during the biopsy and told me I was doing great as tears trickled out my eyes. It didn’t hurt I was just feeling scared and overwhelmed. There is a tiny metal tag left in the biopsy spot and I had another mammogram to make sure it looked okay. I had to ice the biopsy spot and wear a sports bra. The bandaging was great - good coverage and no skin shredding removal.

So of course the next couple of weeks, I read up on breast cancer treatments and staging. Some late nights I looked at post op mastectomy pictures as mental preparation. I got the news I don’t have breast cancer. The lump is necrotic tissue from injury. Gee when was I injured recently?

People, get your mammograms done at MGH. Always speak up if you are in pain or confused about a test being performed on your body.


No comments: