Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My First Yom Kippur

Yesterday was Yom Kippur and since it was my first, I decided to do a complete fast from sundown Sunday and sundown Monday. No food, no water. I attended temple services with the same family who had hosted me for Rosh Hoshanah. The scattered mom has grown on me and her inability to focus isn't annoying anymore. Maybe it was the lack of food or maybe it was the chance to focus on something other than food but I adored the Yom Kippur service. It is very spiritual and hopeful. Sure, it doesn't have any flashy shofar blowing but it felt very meaningful. As I was leaving temple, I heard that Rachel Dratch had attended the service. She grew up in Lexington so it made sense. I never saw her sigh... If I did, we'd probably wind up discussing feline leukemia. Wah wahhhh.

After a day of fasting, my tummy is not used to food so today is going to be a rocky transition. When the sun went down last night, I ate and ate. I think next year I will allow myself to drink water because the thirst is what was really tough for me.

No comments: