Thursday, January 25, 2007

Womenses

I'm a pretty practial "Our Bodies, Ourselves" reading kind of gal. I wasn't raised to use euphamisms for body parts. Though some are pretty damn funny. Over the years, I have gotten a good sense of how my body functions and when things aren't right. It took having a stroke to actually trust that sense.

I have a ritual when I get my period. I note the days in my planner and count forward to know when my next one should be. Basically, I hate being unprepared (I'm sure there's some sweatshirt around the waist incident in Junior High that I blocked out). So, I knew I was due this week. The typical chocolate cravings and crampiness were the normal harbingers. Somehow I have honed my body sense so well, that I can tell the minute when my period starts. It was a weird moment of pride in the bathroom stall yesterday morning. I didn't do victory arms but I did whisper trumphantly under my breath, "Ha!" Maybe it takes 19 years to come to terms with the monthly inconvenience and focus your senses?

No comments: