Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Saturday Lunch Date Dissected

So I met this guy through Jdate. We've been emailing for about a month and had moved to phone calls last week. Our first phone call lasted 2 hours and I was on cloud 9. He was funny, had a good phone voice, and we had a lot in common. The second phone call was shorter and not as spectacular. We chose a time and place for a Saturday lunch date.

We wound up arriving at the same time Saturday. First off, I could see that he had fudged his height in his profile and used a picture that was a couple years old. It wasn't a big deal for me because I expect some flexible truths from online dates. The lunch lasted about an hour and a half. He was completely disinterested in me so about an hour in, I got sick of doing all the talking. The conversation died an awkward death. I left things pretty open since he's a nice guy. Even though there's no love connection, he could be a nice friend. Two things sent up red flags for me from our date:

1. He doesn't read books. He even complimented me on my spelling and variety of vocabulary.

2. He's dangerously overweight to the point that his liver has had problems yet he isn't adjusting his lifestyle to get healthier. He never eats fruit or vegetables.

No comments: