Thursday, May 10, 2007

Relationship Money


I was reading this article about an engaged couple who are having money anxieties and needed to blog about it. The guy is worried about his fiance's debt: $6K? My God, that is nothing compared to what most people owe either on credit cards or in student debt! He already has $100K in retirement funds and a trust fund worth $320K. Yet he constantly worries about money. I think he needs more than financial counseling, he needs therapy ASAP! He feels like a jerk? Well good news, he is a jerk.

As the article and financial counselor pointed out, this couple is doing really well in terms of finances. Yet this dope wants a pre-nup. I'm fairly flexible and responsible with my money. I have savings and a decent 401K but I do love splurging here and there. I have amassed a decent amount of student loan debt but so far my credit rating is phenomenal. I would kill for just $6K in debt and a trust fund.

Money is the currency of trust and power in relationships. If I ever get married, I can't imagine asking for an allowance from my husband. It's all about 1 joint account and two separate individual accounts. I don't want hubby calling me up asking why did I spend $3 on a latte, you know? If I receive money as a gift, I get myself a gift because that's what the money is meant for. If it's a lot of money as a gift, I usually split it in half: half to spend and half to save. People who are stingy with money, usually are stingy with love. Like you have to earn their love and their love has strings attached (as if there's a payback period). It's simply not worth the aggravation. I came into an inheritance a while ago and it's gone now. Half went to paying off my car and school. The other half went to extravagant gifts, travel, and fun. It was fun having money and took a level of anxiety away from my life. But it was just a tool for me, a way to get things done. I can't let money mean anything more to me. It's not a symbol of love or self worth. It's purely functional. If money is something more than functional, I guess you're rich.

No comments: