Tuesday, May 08, 2007

So How Did You Spend Your Cinco de Mayo?

I spent mine in Connecticut attending my cousin's wedding. I got down to the area Friday night, May 4, and stayed at the Marriott in Cromwell. You know, the hotel right across from Liquor World. Once settled in, I made a packie run and found out that there are no CVS or Walgreens within a 10 mile radius of Cromwell. The only ATM in the area is inside a Walmart. Boonies. Chilling in my hotel room with a bottle of wine, I ordered Children of Men. I love Clive Owen.

I watched Corinna, Corinna in the morning. I don't know why, but I love that movie. Then, my brother and his girlfriend arrived. Thanks to a fire alarm in the hotel, we saw a bunch of family members and figured out who was in which room. My room was right next to my uncle's family. I still think one of my cousins pulled the alarm. We waited out the fire alarm by hitting Liquor World again. My brother explained to his girlfriend that family weddings are like the Superbowl. I agreed that we needed some pre-game beverages. My parents showed up and we hung out in my room for a bit. I had to kick everyone out to get ready.

I bought this bra contraption for my dress. It was so sturdily built, I wound up converting it to strapless and my girls survived the evening high and padded. Sarah had lent me a pair of fabulous shoes with 3 inch heels that matched my dress perfectly. They were very comfortable when I tried them on but I am a novice in walking in heels. So basically, the rest of the night was me hobbling around and finding opportunities to go shoeless. I will skip describing the drama surrounding my brother, girlfriend and mother getting lost running an errand for the bride. It's a family tradition for one of us to get lost before a wedding ceremony.

The wedding was held in Middletown and the reception was at the Pavillion on Crystal lake. The ceremony was great. Not too formal or God-heavy. The bridal party looked gorgeous. A female minister conducted the ceremony. I know I'm a cold cynical person but a woman had already started crying as people were being seated. What the hell? Maybe churches make her cry? Or she's a recent divorcee but I knew I had to avoid looking at her throughout the ceremony because she'd either drag me down in weepiness or make me hoot with laughter.

The reception was excelllent and done to the hilt. They had a hors d'oeuvre station and passed hors d'oeuvres. The bar was open all night. There was a signature bride and groom drink - which was pretty cute and yummy. I got to meet a bunch of cousins boyfriends/girlfriends. So far, I approve. But I must say there is an unfortunate tendency to date someone who has a cousin's name. It's confusion central. The DJ was really good: lively and not too obnoxious. The younger kids spent the entire evening trying to score booze. Some were more successful than others. The dinner had 3 courses and each table got a bottle of wine. Around 10pm, we left with my brother's girlfriend as the DD.

We hung out in my room and broke open our bounty from Liquor World. Sam Adam's cherry wheat is divine BTW. Somehow, my room became party central with knocks on my door every 5 minutes. Half of those knocks were from rambunctious kiddie cousins which is when I started the 5 feet and over rule to be let in. The party ended around 2:30AM.

The next morning, I got to answer aunt and uncle questions if their kid had showed up in my room. One uncle acted like he was personally insulted when I told him neither of his kids showed up. Eh, he's an immature asshole. A bit of a warning, at this particular Marriott, breakfast isn't included. You have to pay. I got ambushed by a waitress about breakfast payment then I turned to my 8 year old cousin and put the breakfast on her mom's bill. I am cheap when I'm hungover. Good times were had all around and my cousin is a very happy woman. So, hurray!

No comments: