Monday, July 30, 2007

Mini Vacation




I took Wed. through Fri off from work last week for some well-deserved R&R. A weird fact that I have noticed is that as I get older, it's harder to sleep-in. When I was a teenager, I could sleep until 1pm. Now, I'm lucky if I can make it to 10:00AM. Here is what I did during my time off

Wednesday
I got my hair done at Blondie Salon. Uploaded some hacks for my Sims game so my Harry Potter neighborhood is perfect now. There are spellbooks and cauldrons!

Thursday
I had dinner at Caffe Tosca with my mom. I had their scallops over risotto special and the best glass of Italian wine ever. We had some overly friendly neighbors to our table. When they saw our meals being brought to our table, they oohed and aahed. I didn't mind because I pride myself on my ability to order well at a restaurant. We told them what we ordered and that should have been that. But the second a morsel of our dish touched our tongue, they wanted a report. The worst was when we ordered dessert. The old biddy at the neighboring table stated that we are so tempting and they were trying to be good. I gave her a tight smile and muttered to my mother, "Well, I guess this is why we're fat." They left before we did thank goodness. After dinner, we saw Brian Regan at the South Shore Music Circus. His opening act was pretty good - which is a nice change of pace from most opening acts I see.

Friday
I saw the new Harry Potter movie. It was good despite some draggy parts so I definitely give it a thumbs up. Two scenes especially were completely copied from my imagination: the Weasley twins' exit and the Ministry of Magic battle. Oddly enough, for most of the movies I thought Daniel Radcliffe was the weakest actor, but this time around he was really good. Rupert Grint and Emma Watson seemed to be sleep walking through the movie though. Maybe they need a stint on stage naked? I also visited my grandmother's grave for the first time since the funeral. Finding it was fairly easy since that day is still vivid in my memory. That night I went to a pre-birthday celebration at the Rock Bottom. I learned a valuable lesson that I had forgotten since college: don't mix your liquor in one night. I had a rum based drink, SoCo based, and wine. Boy I was not a happy girl when I got home!

Saturday
For most of the day, I played The Sims and enjoyed the thunderstorms. That evening, I saw The Simpsons movie at Mendon Drive-In with Artist friend, her new boyfriend, and Olympic friend.

It's the first time I've seen him in almost a year. He was a complete dick the entire night. I don't enjoy spending an entire evening with someone who corrects my pronunciation every minute. I was stuttering and misplacing consonants like I was just out of stroke rehab due to getting absolutely no sleep the night before. So, it made me feel extra wonderful to have him correct me ALL THE FUCKING TIME. I kept my cool for most of the night but there were moments when I let a flash of annoyance peep through and then started another conversation completely ignoring him. God, I have no idea why I was hung up on him last year. This totally reminds me of an old co-worker, Kim, who told me that Olympic friend was too much of a stick in a mud for me. At 22, I was too stupid to listen to her. At 30, amen sister!

I had nice chats with Artist friend and her boy (who's a hoot). I had the directions so him him and I had a nice chat on the drive over. He's a fellow Liberal and movie buff. Heh, Olympic friend gamely tried to join some of the conversation but he simply didn't get it. The new boy is eons more fascinating to me because he's new and has good manners. He also laughed out loud at the movie so points for him. I wasn't just laughing, I snorted!

Sunday
As always errands and chores. I broke in my new Black & Decker coffeemaker.

No comments: