Sunday, March 15, 2009

Watchmen Review


I know you have probably been wondering how, with my tremendous geek cred, did I feel about the Watchmen movie. Okay, a confession. I just read the graphic novel after seeing the movie trailer before Dark Knight last summer. Since I was only 10 when the comic originally came out, I'm sure most of it would have gone over my head. As an adult, I enjoyed the graphic novel but found The Black Freighter story distracting and incredibly gory.

So, how's the movie? I'd say it's a mixed bag. I didn't mind the change in the ending. Also, I cannot imagine how a lay person, who had never read the graphic novel, could last an hour into the movie. I think it would be easier to break the movie down by characters and their portrayers.

Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley) - hands down amazing and awesome. He completely carried the movie and made Rorschach incredibly real.

The Comedian (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) - very good and close to how I imagined The Comedian. But I don't know if it's because I know the actor from Supernatural and Grey's Anatomy, I didn't see the level of sleaze and despair that The Comedian needed.

Nite Owl II (Patrick Wilson) - very blah. Not the right type of actor to play Nite Owl (way too young). Some very laughable acting choices.

Dr. Manhattan (Billy Crudup)
- A lot of blue penis shots. He did well considering that all we had from him was his voice attached to a CGI blue guy.

Ozymandias (Matthew Goode) - Way too frail looking and had a bizarre Elmer Fudd speech issue. Didn't fit the part at all but can be a good actor.

Silk Spectre II (Malin Akerman) - I leave the bottom of the barrel for the last. Very stilted, horribly mis-cast, and way too young for the part. Granted, her part in the graphic novel wasn't so great anyways but great actresses can take crummy material and make it memorable. Congrats honey on being cast because you look good in a vinyl suit.

The movie is almost verbatim graphic novel up until Rorschach's prison break. After that, if you are a tender hearted fanboy, leave.

No comments: