Saturday, August 29, 2009

My New Job, Finding an Apartment

This past week has been a flurry of apartment searches and viewings. I think I've been to Quincy so often, I'll get an easy handle driving around when I move! So far, I have only 2 apartment contenders but I have another viewing Monday so we'll see.

Apartment #1 is in a great area, has a great price, and a lovely landlady. But it is basically in an attic with only 2 normal sized rooms. I have no idea how movers could get any large pieces of furniture up there without a chainsaw. It is so cute and tiny, I would never be able to entertain more than 2 people. This one is my fallback if nothing pans out.

Apartment #2 is in an apartment complex in an area I've known since my childhood. The price is hard to beat and my goodness, SO MANY closets! I could definitely entertain there. The only downside I can think of is noise - it's near the T and a restaurant. This one is a really close contender.

As I am looking for places to live, I have realized that there is a lot more to consider than rent, parking, and utilities. You also have to consider what the place says about you. Apartment #1 would say that I am poor and have no social life. Apartment #2 would say that I am an older professional who is a social butterfly. Hence, a better fit!

Timing a move is another issue. Both apartments are okay with a mid-September move but the High Holidays are Sept 18, 19, 27 and 28. So, that would put a crimp in moving plans for me. In theory, it would be perfect to move around Rosh Hoshanah - a new year and a new place. We'll see what happens!

No comments: