Thursday, August 16, 2018

Week 1


My awesome roommate gave me a big hug when she got home Monday and told me while I cried that she wants me to still live with her.  She even came up with a plan about rent, bills, and groceries - which is why she rocks. I told her that we can wait to figure out the financial stuff when I get my unemployment insurance estimate. That night, I got the sweetest text from a former fellow analyst saying how sad he is to see me go and that I am smart, dedicated, and hard working. That he has no doubt that I will move onto bigger and better things. 


I had to take Lorazepam to sleep that night.  Tuesday was the day I designated to get business done like filing for unemployment, deferring student loans, and contacting my retirement plan. This was me on the phone with complete strangers:

Once I got all that fluid out, I updated my resume, contacted my professional network, and lined up references. So many of my family, friends, and colleagues reached out to help I was floored with the kindness

Tuesday night, I took a Benadryl, woke up at 8:30 and spent 5 hours applying, researching jobs, setting up networking lunches. Basically killing the whole unemployment thing.


I wanted to see if I could sleep unmedicated after a good day.  I can't. So today has been a slog. I survived unemployment when the market was in the toilet and the jobless rate was close to 10%. I just need to keep my spirits up with a routine, contact with others, and some patience/kindness towards myself. I'm going to try Melatonin tonight.

On a happy note, Phil is doing great. He annoys the crap out out Shanna and Stella when he is too full of energy but Shanna snuggles with him when they sleep. He also crawls into bed with me which is the cutest and warms my heart.



No comments: